Saturday, September 19, 2015

Brrrrrrr

Fall is definitely here.  This morning we woke up to a brisk 42 degrees and I bet it was not much warmer in our Senang.  After taking the dogs to do their business, John crawled back under the covers for a few more hours while I read with all three dogs huddled around me to keep me warm.  As it started to dawn, the temperature dropped even lower, and the dogs were shaking harder.  Without electricity I reverted to turning on the gas stove to heat up the interior of our Airstream.  Note to self: get a propane heater for use when boon-docking! Honestly, we had not anticipated doing any boon-docking for a while, but I guess sometimes it is just not to be avoided.  It has been a real learning experience and it has opened our eyes to other gadgets that we would like to get before our next trip.  The rainy weather is another whole story.  In itself it is not so bad, but with 3 dogs whose paws need wiping and coats need drying, has been quite a chore.  We are looking forward to dryer days ahead.

At 10:00 AM we left the grassy field in the over-flow area at Crown Villa Resort to get our new hitch installed.  Wow, what a difference it made.  We now have tons of clearance, thus no more scraping on little bumps. There is only one little problem with the new set up: the shank that comes with the new hitch is a couple of inches too short, which causes the tailgate of the truck, when opened, to hit the electronic jack.  A longer one has been ordered and it should be here by Tuesday.

By the time we got back to the RV resort, our place was ready for our occupancy.  It took a couple of hours to get everything set up just the way we wanted.  We are assured that this time will be cut in half as we get more acquainted with all that needs to be done.  When we completed our task we had a nice BBQ lunch with our friends, who are camped in the spot right next to us, followed by a much needed rest.  Before settling down for the evening, I went to Wallyworld to pick up just a few of those much needed items, i.e. a headlamp so that when I take the dogs out in the dark, I can free one hand from holding a flashlight so that I can hold the leash in one and pick up poo with the other.  So much to learn!  A BIG thanks to our dear dog-loving-friends who are sharing a wealth of information and little hints with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment